All Saints Pastoral Centre was built in 1901 as a convent for the All Saints Sisters. It was acquired by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Westminster in 1973. The main part of the centre is built round a quadrangle garden. Although the building has been adapted to meeting and conferencing requirements it has retained its beauty, charm and tranquillity. The centre today caters for residential and non-residential conferences, meetings and retreats mainly from the religious sector. The grounds are available for guests to wander and there is a well signed Prayer Walk which runs through the grounds taking in Chantry Island. Although this is now a wooded piece of land with a small shrine surrounded by a moat it was once an island in the middle of the River Colne which now flows a field-width to the north. It is purported that this was once the site of the priest’s home who St Alban befriended and protected by swapping cloaks, so that he, Alban, was arrested by Roman soldiers and taken to the nearby city of Verulamium, where he was executed and became the first Christian martyr in Britain.